Google has announced this morning that on April 26, 2022 it will be killing off the URL parameter tool under the legacy Google Search Console. This is a bit of a surprise being that Google did say it was planning on vastly improving it but some Googlers also wanted to see the tool go away.
Google wrote “we’re deprecating the URL Parameters tool in Search Console in 1 month.” Google added that there is “no action required from the current users of the tool.”
Google said it was not used much, only about 1%, Google wrote. “Over the years, Google became much better at guessing which parameters are useful on a site and which are —plainly put— useless. In fact, only about 1% of the parameter configurations currently specified in the URL Parameters tool are useful for crawling. Due to the low value of the tool both for Google and Search Console users, we’re deprecating the URL Parameters tool in 1 month.”
The tool did launch in 2009 and here is what it looked like then:
Some SEOs might be upset about this, but others are probably happy it is going away.
So what do you do going forward? Use robots.txt, improve your CMS and internal linking and if you have regional languages, use hreflang.
What did Google say about its hint about improving the tool? John said, things change…
Things change over time.
— 🦝 John (personal) 🦝 (@JohnMu) March 28, 2022
Forum discussion at Twitter.
Daily Search Forum Recap: October 6, 2022
Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Google Search Console’s Google Analytics 3 integration may be broken, query data is not being set. Google updated its local reviews guidelines to disallow “discouraging or prohibiting negative reviews, or selectively soliciting positive reviews from customers.” Google Ads will update its financial services policies and enforcement in the UK. Microsft Advertising announced a boat load of new features. And Google Search Console does not yet show data for Multisearch.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
Other Great Search Threads:
- I don’t know why you’re worried about quality raters – they don’t make the rankings for queries, they don’t make or change the rankings of sites. But, if you, John Mueller on Twitter
- Re-Crawling stopped. Before daily basis, WebmasterWorld
- User agent : KOCMOHABT, WebmasterWorld
- Youtube Videos in Serps, can’t beat em, join them?, WebmasterWorld
- Let’s say you want to optimize a website for search, but you have multiple pages showing duplicate titles. @g33konaut and @LukeDavisSEO discuss a case like this and share the steps taken to debug the #JavaScrip, Google Search Central on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
- Helpful Content Update Analysis: Don’t Do Anything Yet, Seer Interactive
- Is React hiding your navigation links from Google?, Propellernet
- Long tail SEO keywords: Leverage your market niche for better visibility, Wix SEO Hub
- What happens if Google picks the wrong canonical URL?, Oncrawl
- What is SEO Writing? 5 Tips To Improve Rankings, Go Fish Digital
- Critical SEO Reporting Mistakes You Must Avoid, I Love SEO
- Google Multisearch – Exploring how “Searching outside the box” using Lens and multisearch is being tracked in Google Search Console (GSC) and Google Analytics (GA), GSQI
- How Images Help Overall SEO, Practical Ecommerce
- How to Make Your Blog Part of Your Search-Driven Sales Funnel, Internet Marketing Ninjas Blog
- SEO for Multiple User Intents, SERPs Up: SERPâÄôs Up
Have feedback on this daily recap; let me know on Twitter @rustybrick or @seroundtable, you can follow us on Facebook and make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts or just contact us the old fashion way.
What You Need To Know
How to Rank Higher on Google (10 Steps)
How to Optimize Videos for YouTube Search
A Visual Guide for Creating Instagram Reels
5 Tips to Boost Your Holiday Search Strategy
Diablo II: Resurrected Ladder Season 2 Now Live
Daily Search Forum Recap: October 6, 2022
Smarter Machines = Smarter Humans
Iran pop singer silenced, but his song remains a protest anthem
MOps leaders as psychologists: The modern mind-readers
Daily Search Forum Recap: September 30, 2022
7 Tips For Creating Instagram Story Ads That Convert
How To Launch Your First Google Ads Remarketing Campaign
Next Week on Xbox: New Games for October 3 to 7
Google Again Says Spikes In Crawling Activity Not A Sign Of The Helpful Content Update Rollout
The Ultimate Timeline of Google Algorithm Updates (+ Recommendations)
Confusion Over Google Search Console’s HTTPS Is Invalid And Might Prevent It From Being Indexed
Google Adds More Options to Manage Ad Assets and Extensions
How to Make Money While You Sleep
The Development of Roblox Provides a Framework for the Metaverse Vision