Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Google Search Console has a bug with the performance report for image search clicks and impressions. Google is deprecating the Google My Business API in April. Google Ads is shutting off smart shopping and local campaigns and replacing them with performance max campaigns. Google is promoting Pointy from Google in Google Business Profiles. Google image search is tested a related colorized image theme. Google is testing search results without descriptions. And don’t forget to catch the weekly video recap.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Search News Buzz Video Recap: Google Algorithm Fluctuations, FLoC FLoPs, New Google Robots Tag & More
This week, we had another unconfirmed Google search ranking update on January 22nd. Google has admitted defeat with its FLoC cookieless proposal and is now going with Topics API. Google launched a new robots tag named…
- Google Search Console Logging Bug May Result In Drop In Image Search Performance Data
Google has confirmed an issue with the Google Search Console Performance reports specific to image search. The issue is a logging issue that may result in your clicks and impressions data in those reports being lower than normal. Google said the issue began on Monday, January 24, 2022 and is still ongoing.
- New Tools For Smart Shopping & Local Campaigns Being Replaced By Performance Max
Google has released a set of new tools and features to help advertisers when Google existing and future Smart Shopping campaigns and Local Campaigns get replaced by Performance Max campaigns. This includes a new migration tool and API migrations.
- Google Tests Search Results Without Descriptions Again
Google has confirmed it has been testing Google Search result listings without any descriptions, again. Google first tested this in 2015 and is now testing it again for the past couple of weeks. Aishwarya Tapadar from Google confirmed this in a Google Web Search Help thread saying “this is a small experiment that will be ending in the next day or so.”
- Google Images Tests Color Themed Related Images Design
The folks at 9to5Google spotted Google Image Search on mobile testing a related image design that takes on the color theme of the image result. So if the image is red, the related images below are in these red hue effect in the background.
- Google Promotes Pointy From Google In Business Profiles
Google is promoting the Pointy from Google solution in Google Business Profiles dashboard, Colan Nielsen explained on Twitter. Google is placing this box that says “Help customers find products they need” by connecting your in-store product inventory with Google Search and Maps.
- Google Deprecating The Google My Business API On April 20, 2022
Google will be deprecating the Google My Business API on April 30, 2022 and replacing it with new APIs in the Google federated model. So you will have to update any of the old APIs you may be using with the new ones within the next few months.
- Messy Drinks From Googlers At Google
A while back, Satyajeet Salgar from Google posted a photo of his drink and snack while at the Google office when he was first returning to the office. I asked for more photos and that led to numerous
Other Great Search Threads:
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
- 15 Podcasts to Boost Your SEO Game, Ahrefs
- 3 Steps to Define Your Target Audience for Your SEO Program, BruceClay
- Best Google Sheets Formulas for SEO, Shell Shockuk
- Getting Started In International SEO: A Quick Reference Guide, Search Engine Journal
- Google’s Quality Raters Guidelines: Worth Reading?, Internet Marketing Ninjas
- How to Use Google Autocomplete for SEO, Practical Ecommerce
- IndexWatch 2021: The SEO Losers In Google’s US Search Results, SISTRIX
- Local SEO Language Considerations for European Countries, SEO Clarity
- People Also Asked vs. Featured Snippets – 3 years of data, Kevin Indig
- SEO Office Hours: Late January Session Recaps & Key Takeaways, DeepCrawl
- Sistrix IndexWatch 2021: The SEO Losers In Google’s US Search Results, Amsive Digital
- The Top Tech SEO Strategies for 2022 and Beyond, Moz
- We Studied 81,000 Page Titles – Google Rewrote 61% Of Them, Zyppy
- What your C-suite team needs to know about SEO tests, SearchPilot
Have feedback on this daily recap; let me know on Twitter @rustybrick or @seroundtable, you can follow us on Facebook and make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts or just contact us the old fashion way.
Google Local SAB Search Ranking Bug Fix Rolling Out
A couple of weeks ago we reported on a possible Google local search ranking update that turned out to not be an update but rather a bug. Well, that bug seems to be fixed or being fixed now and rankings are beginning to return for these local service area businesses.
The bug seemed to start being fixed on Friday, September 23rd, in the afternoon.
Local SEO, Jason Brown wrote in the Local Search Forum “Good news, one of my clients got their rankings back. They are back in the map pack, but not in the same number one spot as before.” He also said later “My other client is back ranking again too. Looks like the fix is being rolled out now.”
He shared this chart showing how all the rankings returned:
Joy Hawkins also posted about it on Twitter:
If you were impacted by the recent version of the Kansas bug it looks like the fix is being rolled out. https://t.co/QLTXuXzDhL
— Joy Hawkins (@JoyanneHawkins) September 23, 2022
So hopefully this is now fully resolved – at least this specific bug? It may have been related to the Kansas Google local bug.
Forum discussion at Local Search Forums.
Note: This was pre-written and scheduled to be posted today, I am currently offline for Rosh Hashanah.
Changing Tides at NAMIC
Learning to Get Back on the Board with Session: Skate Sim
A Marketer’s Guide To TikTok Analytics
The Simplicity of a Press Badge with Jeff J Hunter [VIDEO]
TikTok Rolls Out Comment Downvotes to All Users
6 Things You Need to Know About The DioField Chronicle
Google Local SAB Search Ranking Bug Fix Rolling Out
WordPress Considers Historic Development Change
How Hunter Built 96 Links in 3 Months (Case Study)
TikTok Announces a Huge Increase to its Video Descriptions as it Leans into Discovery
How to Create UTM Tracking URLs on Google Analytics
Google Is Not Yet Done Rolling Out The Helpful Content Update
How to Target Keywords With Blog Posts
Google On Why Helpful Content Update Seems Quiet
If You Love Escape Rooms, You’ll Love the Elaborate Puzzles of Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma
Why & How Machine Learning Took Over Paid Advertising
Google Updates Documentation On Meta Descriptions
The Ultimate SEO Checklist For Boosting Organic Traffic: 6 Highlights
Google Learning Video Structured Data Docs Breaks Out educationalLevel
How to limit your reliance on canonicals and boost crawl efficiency