Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Google Ads has a bug that won’t let you add exact match keywords right now. Google added a new Shops section to the mobile search results. Google AdSense reenabled the related search experiments feature after 8 months. Google says you can ignore “toxic” links. Google said keyword density still not a thing in 2022. And I posted the weekly video recap – it was a slow week – finally.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Search News Buzz Video Recap: Bing’s IndexNow For WordPress, Google SEO Topics, Links In 2022 & More
It was a slow start to 2022 but I guess that is welcomed by most of you – I have my January 2022 Google webmaster report live, if you took off at all…
- Google Adds Shops Section To Search Results
Google has recently added a new section to the mobile search results named “Shops.” This was first spotted by Khushal Bherwani on Twitter and we got confirmation from Google that this was indeed new at Search Engine Land yesterday.
- Trying To Adds Exact Match Keywords To Google Ads? Google Says Nope, We’re Adding Broad Match Keywords
Drew Cannon posted on Twitter a screenshot of him adding new exact match keywords to his Google Ads campaigns and then Google informing him that no, despite wanting exact match – we’re going to be going with broad match. There is a not that says “broad match keywords are on and keywords will be saved as broad match.”
- Google AdSense Resumes Related Search Experiments After 8 Months
Google has resumed the AdSense related search Custom search style experiments after pausing it back 8-months ago in May 2021. Google said “we’d like to inform you that as of January 6, 2022, we’ve re-enabled your ability to create Related search Custom search style experiments in your AdSense account.”
- Google: Keyword Density Still Not An SEO Search Ranking Factor
So it is now 2022 and some folks are asking if keyword density is an SEO Google search ranking factor. The answer is still no, according to John Mueller, a Search Advocate at Google.
- Google: Ignore Toxic Links, Some Tools Make The Wrong Assumptions
Google’s John Mueller said it again, when it comes to “toxic links” you can ignore them. If you are losing sleep at night over them and it makes you sleep better, you can disavow the links – but you don’t have to – John Mueller said just ignore them and move on.
- Googler Dancing On The Google NYC Rooftop
Here is a video I made into a GIF of a Google product manager dancing on a rooftop at the Google New York City office the other day. He said on Instagram “
Other Great Search Threads:
- We used to have a Sofa in the office. We loved it, Gary in particular. Then the facility team took it away. 1/?, Martin Splitt on Twitter
- You’d think @GoogleMyBiz would use the app update as an opportunity to rename the app Google Business Profiles – guess next time. https://t.co/4RMfa4AyU0, Barry Schwartz on Twitter
- Are standalone Gmail campaigns officially dead? Haven’t served an impression since December 11th. Help article (below) directs to Discovery campaigns now. #ppcchat https://t.co/ObuYMGhzqN, Greg on Twitter
- Share content from the YouTube mobile app to YouTube Kids, Google YouTube for Families Community
- I don’t think that does anything for SEO, but it’s also not a problem. It’s a common HTML pattern: linking to different parts of the same page, for example from a table of contents on to, John Mueller on Twitter
- Quick Personal Update: Graduating from Google Analytics It seems January 2022 is seeing a lot of people take on new roles. That includes me. After 7+ years as a Google Analytics Advocate, I have a new role (which I’ll tell you, Louis Gray on Twitter
- Reminder: Google AdWords API will Sunset April 2022, Switch to Ads API, WebmasterWorld
- The new Google Partners program is giving out $600 (vs $100) free ad credit to new account. https://t.co/asxcrxXBmm #ppcchat https://t.co/tZobJbUc65, Duane Brown on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
Have feedback on this daily recap; let me know on Twitter @rustybrick or @seroundtable, you can follow us on Facebook and make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts or just contact us the old fashion way.
Offline Wednesday For Yom Kippur 5783
This is just a programming note that I will be 100% offline starting Tuesday night (October 4th) through Wednesday night (October 5th) for Yom Kippur. I am not scheduling any stories on Yom Kippur, nothing will be posted. We have a white theme going up today around 3pm ET through all of Yom Kippur (as a reminder, so check it out).
Feel free to check out the archives or catch up with the weekly videos, check out the new search vlogs or just browse the search pics. Oh, and if you have nothing to do, feel free to subscribe to my YouTube channel. 🙂
Yom Kippur is one of the most significant days of the year in the Jewish religion. We basically pray and fast (and sleep) the whole 25-hour period. You can learn more about the day on Wikipedia if you are interested. This year it will be more interesting as it might rain and the outside, socially distant set up might be a bit wet…
For my fellow Jews – have an easy and meaningful fast. If I have done anything to insult, upset, or embarrass anyone – I am sincerely sorry. I ask for your forgiveness.
We will resume on Thursday, after Yom Kippur.
Instagram Tests Out New Ad Options, Including Explore Placement and Interactive AR Displays
Remaking Dead Space, Available for Pre-Order Today
Workforce Trends You Need To Know About in 2022 [New Data]
Offline Wednesday For Yom Kippur 5783
Which Is Better For You?
Expert shares advice for keeping children safe online
World of Tanks’ New Season: Awakened
Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO): How To Get Started
FuboTV reports big ad gains from Unified ID 2.0
Daily Search Forum Recap: October 4, 2022
Explore the Path to Digital Future: Interconnect, Integrate and Innovate
Google Updates Documentation On Meta Descriptions
Daily Search Forum Recap: September 5, 2022
7 Tips For Creating Instagram Story Ads That Convert
How To Launch Your First Google Ads Remarketing Campaign
Microsoft Advertising Gains Pinterest Import, More Google Imports, & More
Google Again Says Spikes In Crawling Activity Not A Sign Of The Helpful Content Update Rollout
Daily Search Forum Recap: September 30, 2022
Confusion Over Google Search Console’s HTTPS Is Invalid And Might Prevent It From Being Indexed
The Ultimate Timeline of Google Algorithm Updates (+ Recommendations)