Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Bing is testing a new design and user interface for its local pack. Google is testing new search filter buttons for shopping queries. Google AdSense launched AdSense shopping links. Google spoke more about 301 redirects and why we should not care how much weight pass with those links. Google Search is testing a new explore section in the search results.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google: It’s Not About 301 Redirects Passing Full Credit Or Not
Google’s John Mueller was asked on Twitter if 301 redirected links pass full credit or not. John responded that “I wouldn’t see it as “full credit or not”, but rather – as mentioned in our docs – it’s a good practice for any move to update the important old links to point at the right new pages.”
- New Google AdSense Shopping Links
Google AdSense launched a new labs feature named AdSense shopping links. Google said with these AdSense Shopping links, AdSense will add shopping links to the content of your eligible pages. Shopping links provide end users with relevant options to buy from.
- Google Search Tests Shopping Filter Button
Google Search is testing a filter button for shopping related query refinement. I personally do not see this but Saad AK posted a screencast of this, showing a filter button at the top left of the search results after searching for [jeans].
- Microsoft Bing Testing New Local Pack Design
Microsoft Bing seems to be testing a new local pack design. This new design is more minimalistic right off the bat, and when you click on one of the local listings, it pops open more details on the right side of the page, instead of opening it in the Bing Local site.
- Google Search Tests Explore Section
Google seems to be testing a new section titled “explore.” In this section you can find articles about the topic broken into subject topics of sorts.
- Old Bing T-Shirts, Some From Before The Bing Brand
Michael Schechter, who has been at Microsoft for over 20 years, he is the Vice President, Growth and Distribution at Microsoft, he shared some old Bing t-shirts on Bing’s birthday, some shirts are fro
Other Great Search Threads:
- Webspam Search Console generally doesn’t flag XSS. You’d have to check with the https://t.co/gfDl8FXFlW folks to see what kind of XSS they pick up (it seems weird to me that it would show in, John Mueller on Twitter
- Google removed the documentation for Soft 404. It’s now combined with the documentation for HTTP Status Code., Kenichi Suzuki on Twitter
- If it’s an unnatural link, banner ad or not, then we do recommend annotating the link appropriately., John Mueller on Twitter
- Ok. Given that you don’t trust what both we & the makers of DA have said, I guess we’ll just have to leave it at that., John Mueller on Twitter
- The way you use quotes within the JSON-LD data will break it with the link. I think you either need to escape the quotes, or use single quotes (‘) for the href= part., John Mueller on Twitter
- I gave a talk on Friday at @webdirections Lazy Load conference on the new Interaction to Next Paint (INP) metric, which measures web page responsiveness to user input. Here are the slides:, Annie Sullivan on Twitter
- You can make a long regex filter, but it would probably be easier to export the list into a spreadsheet, and filter it there., John Mueller on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
Have feedback on this daily recap; let me know on Twitter @rustybrick or @seroundtable, you can follow us on Facebook and make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts or just contact us the old fashion way.
Happy Fourth of July – Google Doodle
Wishing you all a happy Happy Fourth of July, as you can see, this site is all dressed up for the day (on desktop) and Google has their special animated Doodle. I’d embed the Bing theme but I was once threatened with a lawsuit for doing that (not by Microsoft but one of those image legal companies).
I have a ton to post but I’ll hold it all for tomorrow and let you all rest.
Have a wonderful July 4th and speak to you all tomorrow, July 5th.
Forum discussion at Twitter.
8 Effective Ways to Ensure Ecommerce Business Success
IDC predicts cloud infrastructure spending this year will hit $90.2B
What is Blockchain? | The Ultimate Guide
20 Social Media Mistakes to Avoid in 2022
The Do’s and Don’ts of Choosing A Twitter Handle
Happy Fourth of July – Google Doodle
7 Steps to Use It in Any Campaign + Examples
8 Pillar Page Examples to Get Inspired By
25+ SEO Words To Delete, Add, Or Reconsider In The Web3 Era
Want to Build a Content Marketing Career Path? Here’s What to Do
Why Google Doesn’t Like Some SEO Metrics
How Software Systems Enhance the Performance of Gym Business?
9 Creative Company Profile Examples to Inspire You [Templates]
Strategizing Your Instagram Marketing – DigitalMarketer
How to Calculate Your Lead Generation Goals [Free Calculator]
Google Single URL Inspection Tool Dog
Google Bar & Pool Table Room
24 questions to ask identity resolution vendors during a demo
Good Web Sites Are Good For SEO, Says Google
Alcides Aguasvivas On Proper Infrastructure For Sites To Perform Well In Search