Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Stop taking short cuts, John Mueller of Google gives a harsh lesson to one such SEO looking to do just that. Google ignores widget links, Google will unlikely penalize for them. Google Search Console verify fix can work without you fixing anything. Google Shopping added colorful checkout cart icons. Google Web Stories is testing the domain in the footer and web story tips.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- John Mueller Gives A Hard Lesson To An SEO On Google Ranking & Spam
John Mueller of Google responded to a complaint on Reddit where the SEO or site owner was upset his one month old site was not performing on Google Search. The SEO said despite him “created backlinks on top websites with good DA and low spam score” his site is just not showing up.
- Google: We Mostly Just Ignore Widget Links And Not Penalize For Them
As you know, Google has a webmaster guideline against widget links, despite what some SEOs want to tell themselves. But the good news, and we knew this, that Google will likely just ignore those links and not penalize your site for those links today.
- When Google Search Console Verify Fix Works Without Fixing Anything
Did you ever get an email from Google Search Console that asks you to take an action to fix an issue and then click the “verify fix” button? Well, did you ever just click that you fixed the issue, without actually implementing any fixes or changes?
- Google Shopping Add To Cart Icon In Googley Colors
In the Google Shopping search results, if you can check out with Google, Google will add a Google-colored shopping cart icon to the search results that support checkout with Google. I don’t know if the icon is new, looking back at my old posts, they just read “add to cart” but this can be old, I am not 100% sure.
- Google Web Stories Test URL In Footer & Tips
Google seems to be testing displaying the domain the web story is from, while on the web story, in the footer of the story. Also, Google also shows tips on how to interact with web stories when you first load a web story from Google Search.
- Bag Of Google Jelly Beans
Here is a photo from several years ago, of a Google branded bag of jelly beans. Yep, that simple, Google jelly beans. I found this on Instagram a while ago and yes, I am digging through the archives
Other Great Search Threads:
- As a reminder: starting June 30, 2022, you’ll no longer be able to create or edit expanded text ads. (Existing expanded text ads will still serve.) Get tips and resources to help you prepare for this change, Google Ads on Twitter
- Devs and SEOs have a lot to learn from each other. Watch @JohnMu and @ruthmesfun discuss: 💡 Why interactions between SEO and Devs matter 💡 Why seeing results matters to Devs 💡 The impact of a SEO-Dev liason, Google Search Central on Twitter
- Google has added “Word Coach Button” – shortcut key for android , l have added before (click on dec 21) and after (latest – round in color red) snap for ref – by click the button you get given word coach shortcut in your, Khushal Bherwani on Twitter
- Teaming up with the brilliant @SEOJoBlogs – we’re going to host an #SEO event – with all money raised going to the @ifrc, helping those impacted by the horrendous events in Ukraine, Andrew ‘Optimisey’ on Twitter
- Web Perf folks: Yesterday the CrUX report was updated to include bigquery support for the new responsiveness metric. The linked blog post outlines some decisions we made about the metric. But it’s experimental because we w, Annie Sullivan on Twitter
- When pages drop out randomly, it can sure cause issues. And the URL Inspection API wouldn’t help there, since it says it’s indexed, but it’s not showing via a site query or when you search for the article. I’m sure it will pop, Glenn Gabe on Twitter
- This is wild! Google is pairing up products with products mentioned in YouTube videos. Instead of clicking the YouTube video title link, click the thumbnail to watch in the SERP. Then you’ll see G displays the product, Brian Freiesleben on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Mobile & Voice
Have feedback on this daily recap; let me know on Twitter @rustybrick or @seroundtable, you can follow us on Facebook and make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts or just contact us the old fashion way.
Google Product Grid Results Are Organic
We’ve been seeing a lot of grid-like formats with products and shopping results. We know some are ads and some are organic. John Mueller of Google just added official Google representative confirmation that many of these are organic – if you don’t trust that there is no ad label on them as evidence enough.
The other day, Dan Shure posted on Twitter this screenshot (click it to enlarge) of this grid product format and said “This is quite the search result page – there are up to SIXTEEN products below a SINGLE organic listing (in addition to the image carousels) and desktop is infinite scroll.”
Well, yea, these are organic. John responded on Twitter saying “They’re organic results too. This is one of the reasons it’s good to dig into our ecommerce site guidance if you sell products.”
— 🐝 johnmu.csv (personal) weighs more than 15MB 🐝 (@JohnMu) June 28, 2022
Honestly, like I said before, I am not a huge fan of these grid formatted results for products. At least, they should be in some “click to expand” feature so you can see more. So show one line of these results with a click to expand. It is just too much in my opinion, even if Google is confident of the intent of the query.
Also, not all of these image snippets need markup to work, although these with the pricing and reviews probably do…
Forum discussion at Twitter.
How Should You Optimize Your Content?
YouTube Tests Disappearing Community Posts, Expands Access to Membership Gifting
Team RWBY is Making Its Way to the Realm in a New Paladins Patch
How To Create Your Instagram Content Plan
Google Product Grid Results Are Organic
Facebook Adds New Option to Assign Community Managers to Moderate Live Broadcasts
W3C Announces Major Change
B2B customer journeys that begin at review sites are significantly shorter
The Twitchification of marketing: Ed Craven, influencers and Stake.com
Relive the Classic Sonic Games That Defined a Generation
Why Google Doesn’t Like Some SEO Metrics
Google Bar & Pool Table Room
How Software Systems Enhance the Performance of Gym Business?
9 Creative Company Profile Examples to Inspire You [Templates]
Strategizing Your Instagram Marketing – DigitalMarketer
How to Calculate Your Lead Generation Goals [Free Calculator]
6 Tactics to Boost Ecommerce Sales [Without Discounting]
Google Single URL Inspection Tool Dog
24 questions to ask identity resolution vendors during a demo
Good Web Sites Are Good For SEO, Says Google
SEARCHENGINES7 days ago
Google No Longer Lowers Importance Of Content Not Visible On Page
SEO5 days ago
New Updates To Google Page Experience Scoring Revealed At SEODay
GAMES6 days ago
What’s in a Season? More on Age IV Seasons Two and Three!
GAMES5 days ago
Play Roller Champions For Free Now on Xbox