Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Google has a dedicated local pack with just ads – an ad local pack (this is apparently not new). Google says don’t get hung up on “toxic links” – there is no such thing. Did you know that Google shows back ordered products as out of stock? Google’s popular products carousel also can show a filter carousel above it. Sad news, we lost the mentor to all SEOs, Bill Slawski has passed away – the community is heart broken. I hope you all have a safe weekend with those you love.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- A Dedicated Google Search Local Ad Pack
Google seems to be testing adding a local pack for ads along with a normal organic local pack, I believe. Here is a screenshot showing a local pack labeled as “Ads” that show a list of stores that have shoes near you. You can click “more places” that will load more local ads.
- Google Shows Item As Out Of Stock For Items Using Back Order Value Schema
Did you know that Google shows “out of stock” for items you label with the value of back ordered in your structured data for products? Some feel it should say back ordered and not out of stock, but I am not too sure if there is much of a difference?
- Google: Don’t Get Hung Up About “Toxic Links”
Google’s John Mueller responded to some concerns on Reddit about “toxic links.” He was asked where do these toxic links come from, in which he replied “Toxic links is all about selling tools.” He told the individual “don’t get hung up about it.”
- Google Popular Products Carousel With Filter Selectors
Google launched the popular products carousel in 2019 but now it seems Google is showing a carousel above the products to filter based on price, brand and other attributes. So we have an embedded filter carousel within the products carousel.
- The Industry Mourns The Loss Of Bill Slawski: The SEO Mentor To The Community
It pains me to write this – Bill Slawski, a man who has literally helped transform the SEO industry into what it is today, has passed away on Tuesday, May 17th. I’ve personally known Bill for two decades, starting when I first got into SEO and learning from Bill in the old Cre8asite Forums.
- Video: Google Algorithm Update, Spammers Kill Bing Sitemap Submission, FID to INP, New Google Ad Label & RIP Bill Slawski
There was another unconfirmed update on May 16th, about 6 months since the last confirmed Google core update. Spammers killed off the Bing anonymous sitemap submission method. Google will likely replace FID with INP…
- Flash Dressed Crocodile On John Mueller’s Desk
John Mueller posted this photo on Twitter saying he found this Flash dressed crocodile toy by his desk when he was in the office the other day. I am not sure if there is an inside joke here, hence the
Other Great Search Threads:
- DeepMind’s GATO: a step closer to AGI “The same network w/the same weights can play Atari, caption images, chat, stack blocks w/a real robot arm & more, deciding based on its context whether to output text, joint torques, butt, Glenn Gabe on Twitter
- I’d just ignore then if you don’t care about them. The removal tool doesn’t remove it from indexing, it’s just not to show them in search (which they wouldn’t if they’re not canonical), John Mueller on Twitter
- I’ve updated my Core SERP Vitals Chrome Extension to display the new experimental INP and TTFB metrics in the Google search results., Chris Johnson on Twitter
- If Google is now making it easier for its users to reject all cookies, does that mean we won’t get as much data in tools like GA? https://t.co/8cWUZOthOl https://t.co/8KuYMluKsZ, Roxana Stingu on Twitter
- In Universal Analytics, you’re very used to going to the source/medium, campaign, or channel grouping report to find answers to questions like “where did my traffic come from” or “what site referred to me”. You ca, Krista Seiden on Twitter
- Today I received my Microsoft 25 Years of Service award! I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to work with so many passionate, driven, customer focused employees working to empower every person and every organi, Fabrice Canel on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
Have feedback on this daily recap; let me know on Twitter @rustybrick or @seroundtable, you can follow us on Facebook and make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts or just contact us the old fashion way.
Happy Fourth of July – Google Doodle
Wishing you all a happy Happy Fourth of July, as you can see, this site is all dressed up for the day (on desktop) and Google has their special animated Doodle. I’d embed the Bing theme but I was once threatened with a lawsuit for doing that (not by Microsoft but one of those image legal companies).
I have a ton to post but I’ll hold it all for tomorrow and let you all rest.
Have a wonderful July 4th and speak to you all tomorrow, July 5th.
Forum discussion at Twitter.
8 Effective Ways to Ensure Ecommerce Business Success
IDC predicts cloud infrastructure spending this year will hit $90.2B
What is Blockchain? | The Ultimate Guide
20 Social Media Mistakes to Avoid in 2022
The Do’s and Don’ts of Choosing A Twitter Handle
Happy Fourth of July – Google Doodle
7 Steps to Use It in Any Campaign + Examples
8 Pillar Page Examples to Get Inspired By
25+ SEO Words To Delete, Add, Or Reconsider In The Web3 Era
Want to Build a Content Marketing Career Path? Here’s What to Do
Why Google Doesn’t Like Some SEO Metrics
How Software Systems Enhance the Performance of Gym Business?
9 Creative Company Profile Examples to Inspire You [Templates]
Strategizing Your Instagram Marketing – DigitalMarketer
How to Calculate Your Lead Generation Goals [Free Calculator]
Google Single URL Inspection Tool Dog
Google Bar & Pool Table Room
24 questions to ask identity resolution vendors during a demo
Good Web Sites Are Good For SEO, Says Google
Alcides Aguasvivas On Proper Infrastructure For Sites To Perform Well In Search
SEARCHENGINES7 days ago
Daily Search Forum Recap: June 27, 2022
SOCIAL7 days ago
New Report Looks at the Rise of Beauty Enhancement Trends and Tools Online
SEO7 days ago
5 Proven Ways To Increase Your Google Rankings
SEARCHENGINES6 days ago
Google Search Ranking Algorithm Update Brewing Again June 27-28th