Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Google has released a new report to measure your page experience for desktop, and in a few weeks the desktop version of the page experience update will be live. Do you think Google will soon target “fluff” content in 2022? Google Maps is testing shows review snippets in the map interface, by the map pins. Google said you should still not use commas, brackets or other non standard encoding for URLs an faceted navigation. Google Business Profiles edits are being promoted with a new gigantic overlay in web search.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Desktop Page Experience Report Now In Google Search Console
As promised, Google has released the desktop version of the page experience report in Google Search Console. The desktop version is pretty similar to the mobile version, as you’d expect. With the page experience update algorithm coming to desktop next month, you now have a report you can use to see how well you are performing.
- Will Google Target Fluff Content In Search?
The other day I wrote about how Google said fluff content is hard for search engines to understand and thus rank. I explained how Google does rank content that is surrounded by a lot of fluff. But then I heard John Mueller of Google once again talk about content fluff and how you should not add fluff to your content.
- Google Maps Pins With Review Snippets
Google Maps, the map interface, is testing displaying review snippets, short selected reviews, directly under the name of the business or organization in the map interface under the pin. This was spotted by Allie Margeson who said on Twitter “seeing review snippets get some prominence directly on the map and I like it!”
- Google Business Profile Edit Large Overlay In Search Results
With Google’s new effort to get business owners to manage their business listing in web search and not in the Google Business Profile manager, formerly Google My Business, Google is now using large overlays to tell businesses they can do so in search.
- Google: Do Not Use Commas, Brackets Or Non-Standard URL Encoding For Faceted Navigation
Google’s John Mueller confirmed that the search company’s 2014 guidance with faceted navigation remains true today – do not use non-standard URL encoding. That means do not use commas, brackets or other non-standard URL encoding in your URL structure.
- Empty Google Cafe
Two years into COVID the Google offices are still pretty empty, here is a recent photo from the main Google headquarters, the GooglePlex, from one of the cafes. It is pretty empty, you can see more ph
Other Great Search Threads:
- It’s always a good practice to balance your sources of traffic. For affiliate bloggers, I’d recommend checking out https://t.co/v0Hpt72oIe and thinking about ways to improve your site overall. More is not bett, John Mueller on Twitter
- “On sale” organic in Google mobile serp. CC – @rustybrick 1/1 #onsale https://t.co/TjfUpcrLi1, Khushal Bherwani on Twitter
- Bugs are always possible, but I don’t see a lot of complaints around this… At least not yet :). Maybe it’s from old crawl attempts? or perhaps the robots.txt was unreachable temporarily?, John Mueller on Twitter
- Let me just ask the obvious question; if you know this is unnecesary duplicate content, why are you publishing it? Understanding of quality is irrelevant, it just seems like a bad idea from the st, John Mueller on Twitter
- DMCA is a per-page process, so if you feel it applies, you’d need to do it on a per-page basis., John Mueller on Twitter
- I’m a fan of “less is more” when it comes to the number of sites. However, the overall effect of merging or splitting sites is always hard to estimate in advance., John Mueller on Twitter
- Please, please pleaseeee – only disavow links if you KNOW they’re spammy and have been built unnaturally otherwise you’ll do more harm than good. Conducting a traffic drop analysis and I checked their disavow file and found, Andy Chadwick on Twitter
- Report: Safari Bug Could Leak Some User Data, WebmasterWorld
- We’ll take a look. I know searching by headline is common for writers and yes, I’d expect this to show first for that. But it doesn’t reflect how most people might seek this content (and for how they might s, Danny Sullivan on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
Have feedback on this daily recap; let me know on Twitter @rustybrick or @seroundtable, you can follow us on Facebook and make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts or just contact us the old fashion way.
Google Dedicated Local Ad Pack
Google seems to be testing adding a local pack for ads along with a normal organic local pack, I believe. Here is a screenshot showing a local pack labeled as “Ads” that show a list of stores that have shoes near you.
You can click “more places” that will load more local ads. Below that is the local pack map, showing you organic nearby stores that have that product nearby.
Here is a screenshot I took from a Twitter video from Saad AK:
Here are more examples of this in action from Saad AK:
Sending to: @rustybrick SIR.
— Saad AK (@SaadAlikhan1994) May 19, 2022
I think this is new but I can be wrong?
Forum discussion at Twitter.
Update: Supposedly this is not a new thing, according to Google.
LinkedIn Updates Professional Community Policies to Better Reflect What’s Not Allowed in the App
Google Dedicated Local Ad Pack
The Body Bugs are Coming for You – Free Today on Xbox
Daily Search Forum Recap: May 20, 2022
How Data Is Reshaping The SEO & Digital Marketer’s Landscape
How TikTok Creators Redefined Influence [Infographic]
This Week on Xbox: New Games, Upcoming Releases, and Events
How A Solid Content Strategy Can Empower Your Team [Podcast]
Meta Announces ‘Recurring Notifications’ for Business Messaging, a Significant Shift in its Platform Approach
Marketing operations talent is suffering burnout and turnover
LinkedIn Adds Live Captions for Audio Events, Custom URL Listings on Creator Profiles
LinkedIn Shares New Insights into the Brand Benefits of Adopting Sustainability Best Practices [Infographic]
Six Ways to Adjust Google Ads to Save Budget
Google Search With Larger Images Again On Desktop Results
Daily Search Forum Recap: May 2, 2022
How Does Google Multisearch Affect SEO?
Where To Invest In SEO For Maximum Impact
Start an Affiliate Marketing Side Hustle to Bring in Passive Income
How to Write the Perfect Page Title With SEO in Mind
Google Says You Can Use Hashtags In Meta Descriptions
SEARCHENGINES5 days ago
Google Search Console Performance Reports Logs Additional Desktop Features
PPC4 days ago
Three Key Moments You Can’t Miss at Hero Conf London 2022
SEO4 days ago
Google Ads Makes Automation Easier With Scripts Updates
MARKETING4 days ago
What is Conversation Intelligence and Facts you didnt know About the Software?