Google local listings have been pushing products for the past several years, in fact, it just recently added in-store products in the help document around improving visibility in Google local search. Google has been showing browse by products and browse by stores also recently – although, I am not sure how new this is.
Google wants to help searchers looking to find products in local stores by adding sections to browse by product or browse by store.
I can see this myself, so I really do not think this is super new:
But again, you can see how important it is for local businesses that do have products to sell to include those products in their Google Merchant Center feed and have that hooked up to their Google Business Profile.
Here are samples of this in action from Khushal Bherwani:
1/2 🧵 See this video for understanding –
— Khushal Bherwani (@b4k_khushal) April 9, 2022
Forum discussion at Twitter.
Daily Search Forum Recap: September 30, 2022
Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Google is testing “more like this” star feature, the things to know box on the right side and the product panels with shaded backgrounds. Google said sometimes a brand becomes so popular it will rank above the general meaning of the word in Google Search. Page speed issues won’t lead to your site being removed from Google. I also posted my weekly SEO video recap – with a cold and cough.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Search News Buzz Video Recap: Google Core & Product Reviews Update Done, Local Search Ranking Bug Fixed, Search On Event Recap & More
Google has finished rolling out both the September 2022 core update and product reviews update on Monday, September 26th – yes, there is a lot of confusion. Google fixed a bug with the local search rankings and service area businesses. Google had its big Search On event…
- Google “More Like This” Star Search Snippet Feature
Google is testing a new feature that places a large and smaller star next to the search result snippet. When you click on the star icons, you are presented with a box beneath that search result snippet that shows a “more like this” section.
- Google Search: When A Brand Becomes More Popular Than The Meaning Of The Word
There are some brands that have generic names that have become more popular than the actual meaning of the word. In those cases, Google Search may rank or show information about the brand over the meaning of the word.
- Google Testing Things To Know On Right Search Panel
Google is testing the placement of the Things To Know section on the right-side panel. Typically, you find these within the main search results in the middle portion of the search results.
- Google Tests Shady Design For Product Panels
Google is testing another design for the product panels in Google Search. This new design shades the boxes for some of the products and reviews, etc. It also moves some of the filters around.
- Google: Page Speed Issues Wouldn’t Lead To Your Site Being Removed From Google Search
Google’s John Mueller said that your site or page would not be removed from the Google Search results over page speed issues. He was asked about this on Twitter and said no, page speed won’t lead to your site on the basis of page speed.
- 3D Chrome Google Sign
Here is an interesting looking sign at the Google Netherland office. It looks like a 3D chrome sign of sort, with the Google logo. This is hanging on a wall at that office.
Other Great Search Threads:
- It might be that the currency is just not supported by our systems. Unfortunately, that’s sometimes not a technical issue which we can resolve., John Mueller on Twitter
- If they’re not showing up instead of your “real” pages, I wouldn’t worry about it. These technical quirks come & go. Technically they can be indexed, but if nobody sees, John Mueller on Twitter
- A redirect is not a 404 🙂, John Mueller on Twitter
- Curious about how SEO has evolved across a giant part of the web? Check out the @HTTPArchive ‘s Web Almanac chapter on SEO at https://t.co/PKQAn9Vc05 . It’s based on a giant treasure of, John Mueller on Twitter
- Google’s push to get merchants to add product information to their Business Profiles continues. A new section about adding products was just added to the help doc “Edit your Business Profile on Google, Stefan Somborac on Twitter
- It depends on how you have your paywall set up, and what you want it to do. A paywal doesn’t have to be 100%; you might choose to show Google 30%, random, John Mueller on Twitter
- There’s nothing defined about the order of results in a site:-query, I wouldn’t read anything into it 🙂, John Mueller on Twitter
- When is cloaking. not penalisable?, WebmasterWorld
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
Have feedback on this daily recap; let me know on Twitter @rustybrick or @seroundtable, you can follow us on Facebook and make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts or just contact us the old fashion way.
5 Social Media Advertising Tips to Nail Your Efforts and Get Your Expected Results
This Week on Xbox: Grounded is Here, Upcoming Releases and Much More
Daily Search Forum Recap: September 30, 2022
B2B PPC Experts Give Their Take On Google Search On Announcements
The 21 Best Lead Generation Tools in 2022
UK teen died after ‘negative effects of online content’: coroner
Critically-Acclaimed CRPG Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Comes to Xbox Today
Daily Search Forum Recap: September 29, 2022
LinkedIn Rolls Out 3 Updates To Pages
The Best Programming Languages for Web Services and Their Advantages In 2022
Google Updates Documentation On Meta Descriptions
Explore the Path to Digital Future: Interconnect, Integrate and Innovate
Daily Search Forum Recap: September 5, 2022
Microsoft Advertising Gains Pinterest Import, More Google Imports, & More
Google Again Says Spikes In Crawling Activity Not A Sign Of The Helpful Content Update Rollout
How To Launch Your First Google Ads Remarketing Campaign
Confusion Over Google Search Console’s HTTPS Is Invalid And Might Prevent It From Being Indexed
The Ultimate Timeline of Google Algorithm Updates (+ Recommendations)
Google Adds More Options to Manage Ad Assets and Extensions
7 Tips For Creating Instagram Story Ads That Convert