Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Just a quick heads up, I am offline for Yom Kippur tonight/tomorrow, no stories will be posted on Wednesday. Today, Google confirmed a data issue with the search performance report in Search Console. There was a weird spike in data in Google Business Profiles insights. Google gave advice on what to do if content scrapers outrank you for your content. Glenn Gabe shared charts showing super wild fluctuations for a site after each Google algorithm update. Google also said that you should ignore anything written about link juice.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Search Console Performance Report Missing Data On September 21st
Google has confirmed that some data may be missing in the Google Search Console Search Performance report on September 21, 2022. If you log in and view that report, you should see an annotation on that day, that explained more.
- Wild Google Ranking Swings With Google Algorithm Updates
With all these different Google search ranking algorithm updates over the past several weeks, it has been a very busy time for SEOs. While most sites probably don’t see huge swings. Glenn Gabe documented a site that didn’t just see one big ranking change but several!
- Report: Unusual Spike In Google Business Profile Insights Traffic
There are some reports that in some industries, like the auto dealership industry, there is a bug with Google Business Profile insights reporting. There shows a large and unaccounted-for spike in traffic from Google Local and Google Maps for some of these businesses in these Google reports.
- Google Advice On When Copy Sites Outrank Your Original Content
Danny Sullivan from Google provided some advice and took some feedback on a specific example of when an original piece of research from a website was being outranked by a site copying its information.
- Google: Anything That Talks About Link Juice Should Be Ignored
Google’s John Mueller said it again, he said on Twitter “anything that talks about “link juice” should be ignored.” Instead, he said you should “go and make awesome websites with content that’s useful and inspirational to real people.”
- Large Google Exercise Ball
Google really puts their logo on almost everything. Here is an exercise ball at one of the Google offices and the ball has a Google logo on it.
- Programming Note: Offline Wednesday For Yom Kippur 5783
This is just a programming note that I will be 100% offline starting Tuesday night (October 4th) through Wednesday night (October 5th) for Yom Kippur. I am not scheduling any stories on Yom Kippur, nothing will be posted.
Other Great Search Threads:
- We do still block malware. I don’t know what that page is doing so it’s hard to say, but you can report malware at https, John Mueller on Twitter
- AdSense Earnings and Observations – October 2022, WebmasterWorld
- Issue with BrightLocal reports, Local Search Forum
- It looks like that’s the mobile alternate URL; alternate URLs are generally not indexed on their own, they’re just swaped out to be shown in search results., John Mueller on Twitter
- Outdated content – best practice?, WebmasterWorld
- Yes, we should do better here. Note the “sources from across the web” part of that. One thing that helps us do better is when the web making such lists is more inclusive. That’s not an excuse for us, though; as, Danny Sullivan on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
- 6 Tips to Drive Faster Page Load Times, Outbrain
- Dentist SEO: An SEO Guide For Dental Practices, Go Fish Digital
- I just outranked The White House for their own content., Dejan Marketing
- Optimize long tasks, Web Dev
- SEO Case Study: 1,400%+ Organic Increase, Online Brand Established, Leverable SEO
- 5 Image Optimization Tips for Image Search, Rank Ranger
- A One-Stop Guide to The World’s Best SEO Audit, Level343
- How to Leverage Visual Search for e-Commerce Growth, PPC Hero
- Off-Page SEO: Is It Right for You?, Siege Media
- Uncover Your Most Valuable Keywords with Aira’s New Keyword Opportunity Estimation Tool, Moz
- Acquire users who are more likely to engage with in-app ads using Target ROAS bidding, Google Ads Help
- Financial Services Advertising in Brazil, India, and Portugal (October 2022), Google Advertising Policies Help
- Financial Services Advertising in France, Germany, Indonesia, and Spain (October 2022, Google Advertising Policies Help
- How to Use Customer Match in Google Ads to Grow Your Business?, PPC Expo
- 10 Tricks to Get the Click: How to Write Exceptional PPC Ads, WordStream
Have feedback on this daily recap; let me know on Twitter @rustybrick or @seroundtable, you can follow us on Facebook and make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts or just contact us the old fashion way.
He said this is recent advice based on seeing a “bunch” of emails with complaints from SEOs where they see “lots of dups reported in Search Console.” He said when he tried to load the pages in his browser, it “took forever to load,” “so rendering timed out (my most likely explanation) and we were left with a bunch of pages that only had the boilerplate. With only the boilerplate, those pages are dups,” he added.
Here is what Gary posted:
I have a bunch of emails in my inbox where the issue is that the centerpiece took forever to load, so rendering timed out (my most likely explanation) and we were left with a bunch of pages that only had the boilerplate. With only the boilerplate, those pages are dups.
Gary later added on Mastodon, “Search engines are in fact very similar to a user’s browser when it comes to indexing, but a user doesn’t access billions of pages (or however many search engines typically access) every day, so they must have stricter limits.”
How To Optimize The Largest Contentful Paint & Rank Higher
New Report Finds that 62% of Facebook Users Encounter Scams in the App Every Week [Infographic]
MarTech’s email marketing experts to follow
Does ‘goblin mode’ sum up 2022 for you?
Daily Search Forum Recap: December 5, 2022
Google’s Desktop Search Results Are Now Endlessly Scrollable
Dynatrace extends Grail to power business analytics
The German Empire Marches to Italy in a Free Expansion Today
Instagram’s Testing New DM Labels to Help Manage Customer Interactions in the App
B2C marketing: A guide for marketers
This Week’s Deals with Gold and Spotlight Sale, Plus Xbox Black Friday Sale
Vampire Survivors Available Today with Xbox Game Pass for Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One
Xbox Shares Community Safety Approach in Transparency Report
Identifying an Effective B2B Target Market for Ads
Helping Affiliates Create Satisfactory Long-Form Content
The Pros and Cons of Your Brand Using Affiliate Links
Twitter’s demise would cost marketers an important, useful channel
8 eCommerce Marketing Strategies for 2022 and Beyond
How Metaverse is Reshaping the Tourism Industry
SEARCHENGINES6 days ago
Google Says Links Have A Lot Less Significant Impact For Ranking Today
TECHNOLOGY7 days ago
On automation and machine learning as the future of security
EMAIL MARKETING7 days ago
The Ultimate Guide for Ecommerce Email Marketing Strategy
PPC7 days ago
10 Ways Machine Learning Can Transform Your Business