Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
There may have been another unconfirmed Google search ranking algorithm update yesterday and today according to multiple signals I track. And no, crawl rate spikes do not signal a Google algorithm update is coming – that is a myth. Google seems to say that they are not able to understand when two pieces of content are equivalent when they are the same content but translated. Google said it is getting better at handling languages even without hreflang support. Google local service ads now allows you to submit a request to have your own background verification check. Danny Goodwin joined Search Engine Land, after being at Search Engine Journal and before that Search Engine Watch.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Another Unconfirmed Google Search Ranking Update (January 19th & 20th)
Google has been busy over the last couple of weeks after being taking a bit of a break with the new years. It seems we are seeing again signs of another Google search ranking algorithm update occurring yesterday and today, January 19th and 20th. There is both SEO industry chatter and data from the tracking tools that support this but yes, we do not have a Google confirmation about an update.
- Google Reiterates That A Spike In Crawling Unrelated To Upcoming Algorithm Updates
Google’s John Mueller said again that a spike in crawling activity on your site is unrelated to an upcoming search ranking algorithm update. John Mueller said on Twitter “it’s unrelated” when asked if crawl spikes are related to Google updates.
- Google: We Don’t Understand If Content Is Equivalent When In A Different Language
Google’s John Mueller said in an SEO hangout last Friday that it is impossible for Google to understand that one piece of content is equivalent to another piece of content when those content pieces are in different languages. So Google is basically trusting the hreflang attribute provided by publishers.
- Google: We’re Getting Better At Languages & Location Without Hreflang
Google’s John Mueller said on Twitter that “anecdotally, it feels like we’re already doing much better with getting languages & location right, even without hreflang or geotargeting settings.” This was in response to an excellent question from Glenn Gabe about can Google use MUM AI to figure out page language pairs without hreflang.
- Google Local Service Ads Allows Alternative Background Checks Process
Ben Fisher spotted an update to the Google Local Service ads help documents around the screening and verification process for businesses. Google added a section that says businesses can request that their “own dedicated background check partner” do the verification.
- Danny Goodwin Joins Search Engine Land : Reaction
As you all know, I have been with Search Engine Land and SMX since the company was founded and the company has been through many changes over the past dozen years or so. This week, Search Engine Land hired seasoned search marketing writer and editor Danny Goodwin.
- Google London Rooftop Deck
Here is a photo from the Google London office, I guess the rooftop deck and porch. This was recently shared on Instagram. Looks like a nice view from that office but I bet the new $1 billion office
Other Great Search Threads:
- 🚧 Paywalled content and SEO 🚧 Following @aleyda’s advice, I’ll start tweeting sometimes in English. In this thread, I’ll explain how to be SEO compliant if you have paywalled content, like the NYT for example. https, Antoine Eripret on Twitter
- Hey Google, have you been drinking today? Your search results look a bit wonky!, Casey Bryan on Twitter
- I sold Backlinko, Brian Dean on Twitter
- Interesting possible update to how Knowledge Panels handle towns/cities. Seeing more carousels for events showing up and restaurant categories. Here’s what I see now (see next tweet for what I saw a few months ago). https://t., Mordy Oberstein on Twitter
- Since Google uses neither DA nor the spam score, it doesn’t really matter either way, right? That’s why I said to just ignore all of that and do something real instead. If experts are telling you to, John Mueller on Twitter
- U.S. Proposal to Ban Ad Targeting Would Change Facebook and Google’s Ad Model, WebmasterWorld
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
Have feedback on this daily recap; let me know on Twitter @rustybrick or @seroundtable, you can follow us on Facebook and make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts or just contact us the old fashion way.
Google Dedicated Local Ad Pack
Google seems to be testing adding a local pack for ads along with a normal organic local pack, I believe. Here is a screenshot showing a local pack labeled as “Ads” that show a list of stores that have shoes near you.
You can click “more places” that will load more local ads. Below that is the local pack map, showing you organic nearby stores that have that product nearby.
Here is a screenshot I took from a Twitter video from Saad AK:
Here are more examples of this in action from Saad AK:
Sending to: @rustybrick SIR.
— Saad AK (@SaadAlikhan1994) May 19, 2022
I think this is new but I can be wrong?
Forum discussion at Twitter.
Update: Supposedly this is not a new thing, according to Google.
LinkedIn Updates Professional Community Policies to Better Reflect What’s Not Allowed in the App
Google Dedicated Local Ad Pack
The Body Bugs are Coming for You – Free Today on Xbox
Daily Search Forum Recap: May 20, 2022
How Data Is Reshaping The SEO & Digital Marketer’s Landscape
How TikTok Creators Redefined Influence [Infographic]
This Week on Xbox: New Games, Upcoming Releases, and Events
How A Solid Content Strategy Can Empower Your Team [Podcast]
Meta Announces ‘Recurring Notifications’ for Business Messaging, a Significant Shift in its Platform Approach
Marketing operations talent is suffering burnout and turnover
LinkedIn Adds Live Captions for Audio Events, Custom URL Listings on Creator Profiles
LinkedIn Shares New Insights into the Brand Benefits of Adopting Sustainability Best Practices [Infographic]
Six Ways to Adjust Google Ads to Save Budget
Google Search With Larger Images Again On Desktop Results
Daily Search Forum Recap: May 2, 2022
How Does Google Multisearch Affect SEO?
Where To Invest In SEO For Maximum Impact
Start an Affiliate Marketing Side Hustle to Bring in Passive Income
How to Write the Perfect Page Title With SEO in Mind
Google Says You Can Use Hashtags In Meta Descriptions
SEARCHENGINES5 days ago
Google Search Console Performance Reports Logs Additional Desktop Features
PPC4 days ago
Three Key Moments You Can’t Miss at Hero Conf London 2022
SEO4 days ago
Google Ads Makes Automation Easier With Scripts Updates
MARKETING4 days ago
What is Conversation Intelligence and Facts you didnt know About the Software?